It’s been another huuuge week of improvements for our little cottage (which is now starting to look rather sizeable…). A big team has been on site this week, and it shows. It’s been a super exciting time, with new milestones reached almost daily.
With the roof finished off last Friday, this week started with the insanely fast installation of all our doors and windows. It was a significant joinery order given we’re replacing every existing window (expect the servery window), and every door (except the stacker doors off our dining room). The guys got everything in so quickly though and it was THE best feeling seeing it come together! The new bifolds went in last, and even they were done by around Wednesday. The front ones look amazing – I love the multi-lite panes of glass. It’s such a classic look which I’ve always wanted, and I’m so excited that all our front doors and windows are built like that.
Out the back of the house, though, we’ve used single panes of glass. They’re fine – but don’t elicit quite the same sense of excitement for me as the ones at the front. That decision was made because the dining room stacker doors that were already there were relatively new – they’d been put in by the previous owners as part of their reno. We really couldn’t justify the cost of getting new ones made, and given the opening was staying exactly the same, we decided to keep them. Because they were single lite panes though, we made the rear bifolds single lite too. Possibly the wrong decision, but we’ve saved some money and they’ll be easier to clean.
The other big thing that happened this week was the house wrapping (in that blue plasticky stuff) – and they’ve even started on the chamferboard cladding. To have the actual wooden panels secured to the outside lower frame is just fabulous!
We had a walk through the house yesterday morning with Luke from Forrest Electrical. It was a long and thorough session to detail every single power point, light, switch etc etc, and it was really useful. The only bummer is that I ended up adding a bit of additional scope to what was in our contract, so when the revised costs come in we’re either going to have to rein it in or suck it up. Lighting and power points are tough ones though – you just really don’t want to scrimp, only to regret it later. We also wanted extra data points put in – because I work from home, I’m totally reliant on the Internet. And, I want to be able to work from absolutely anywhere in the house – no slow internet on the verandahs for me, thank you!
We’ve been deliberating over verandah brackets…no decision made yet. Last weekend, I went to Woodworkers and picked up seven different wooden brackets. We didn’t have time to test them out properly this week, but here’s just one of the wooden ones, compared with the cast aluminium lacework bracket I picked up in Melbourne.