This past week shaped up to be as big a week as promised. Lots achieved, some minor dramas (all now resolved), and a whole lotta loveliness. She’s shaping up well!
Our kitchen and living room cabinetry finally got installed earlier this week. It was really fortunate I was able to pop in while the kitchen was being installed as I wasn’t happy with where our island was located – it seemed unnecessarily close to the back wall. Given we have an absolutely massive kitchen area (bigger than our living room) it seemed a shame not to better use it. Thankfully Matt, our builder, was also on site, so he was able to step in and help advise the cabinet makers with the realignment. We couldn’t push the island out too much more because the pendant lights were already wired, but we did move the island 15cm which is definitely better than nothing.
Speaking of the pendant lights, I only just realised that we have wiring for two pendants over the kitchen island – not three like I’d wanted. I’m genuinely gutted about this, and can’t believe I didn’t pick up that massive issue back when I reviewed the final electrical drawings pre-Christmas. Because of the spacing, it won’t be possible to do three lights (they’d be completely off centre), but I’m holding out a speck of hope we may be able to put an additional light on either side and increase it to four.
The bathrooms are looking absolutely fantastic. Originally, we’d planned to use a mottled grey tile for the main bathroom and downstairs bathroom, and a patterned bolder tile for the ensuite and laundry. The thinking really was that it was better to go for a safe option in the main areas, whereas we could be a little bit more experimental with the less visible spaces.
Matt sent me a picture of the first grey tiles being laid in the bathroom and my immediate reaction was that they really didn’t look particularly good. I text back and said I thought it looked a bit 1970s, and was it just a bad photo. He immediately called me back and said that he didn’t think they were great, and that I should look at them ASAP and make a call on whether it was worth continuing with them. When I got to site, basically everyone (the builder, tiler and painter) all indicated that they were pretty hideous – and I agreed. We decided to rip them up and replace them with the patterned tiles instead – which looked sooo much better. It wasn’t a cheap mistake – $800 to rip and up and re-lay. Still, the end result is far better. I managed to get Beaumont Tiles to set aside the quantity we needed at their Runcorn warehouse, and the next day I had an Airtasker guy pick them up and drop them off at the house for $65 – sorted!
This week also saw the blockwork going in across the front of the house – it’s basically our front wall and driveway retaining. I still find it hard to visualise what it’s actually going to look like, but the earthworks to shape the space and flatten it happens this week so it’ll be a very different view in a few days’ time. At the same time all of that was happening, the concrete was being poured for our side paths. I doubt we’ll have budget left to tile it in the short-term, but eventually it’ll be grey travertine, laid in a French irregular pattern. The path down the other side is actually quite a bit bigger and will double as a patio area / break-out space flowing out from the downstairs rumpus.
I’ve contracted a separate fencing company to do our perimeter ending and I haven’t been impressed so far. I’d been told it was 5-6 days to do three long perimeter fences like ours, but a week in, and literally all we have are posts on two sides. The third side hasn’t been touched. Hopefully this week will see some decent action on the fencing front and then that’ll be another box ticked.
So this coming week, aside from the perimeter fencing, should see front earthworks done, and the rest of the kitchen, outdoor kitchen/BBQ area, laundry and walk-in robe installed. Our living room built in furniture should be painted and complete (i.e. Doors popped back on the cabinetry), and the stone templaters arrive on Tues to mark out all the stone requirements across the kitchen, outdoor area, bathrooms and laundry. Our tiling will also be largely completed (apart from splash backs), and our kitchen sink should go in. Possibly even the toilets! Exciting times!